RECYCLING FOR CITY OF JOLIET RESIDENTS
Follow these simple instructions in preparing your materials for recycling. PLEASE REFER TO THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE LID OF THE YELLOW RECYCLING CART.
Only put recyclables in your recycling cart.
It is important that you do not place food, liquids and plastic bags of any kind in the recycling carts.
NEWSPAPERS, NEWSPRINT, and MIXED PAPER PRODUCTS
Various types of low grade mixed papers are acceptable, including:
- CARDBOARD BOXES - We request flattened and cut down to 2 foot in diameter or less.
- CHIPBOARD BOXES - cereal boxes, shoe boxes, paper tubes, soda/beer cartons.
- BROWN PAPER GROCERY BAGS
- PHONE BOOKS and MAGAZINES
- MIXED HOUSEHOLD PAPERS Including used mail.
CONTAINERS AND OTHER MATERIALS
A variety of different types of containers will all be accepted for recycling, including:
- GLASS JARS & BOTTLES - Food and beverage containers - clear, green, blue, brown. Does NOT include… Window or plate glass, dishes, ceramics or Pyrex, bulbs, etc.
- ALUMINUM / METAL CANS - Food and beverage cans, aluminum, steel, metal, and aluminum foil and pie tins.
- PLASTIC FOOD GRADE CONTAINERS
|- PET – 2-liter or other size beverage containers.|
|- HDPE – Milk and water jugs, laundry, and household detergent bottles.|
|- PVC – Vegetable oil bottles, window cleaner and detergent bottles.|
|- LDPE – Other food grade bottles.|
|- PP – Yogurt cups and syrup bottles.|
|- Other plastic food containers.|
(Look for the recycling symbols shown above, acceptable bottles will have one of these #’s on the bottom.)
-- the racing arrow with a number 6 in the middle of it should not go in your recycling bin. These items should be put in the garbage.
Bottles that contained motor oil, pesticides, or chemicals will NOT be accepted even if they are empty they are still considered hazardous waste materials. If you pay for municipal waste on your water and sewer bill, you can call the "At Your Door" program for pickup from your home starting January 1, 2018. That phone number to schedule a pickup is (800) 449-7587, or you can email email@example.com or go to WMATYOURDOOR.COM website. A special kit will be mailed to your home with instructions and a collection date. If you do not have a municipal waste chrge on your water bill, you can go to willcountygreen.com for more information about other household hazardous waste disposal locations.
PREPARATION: All reccyling items should be rinsed and the caps removed and discarded. Containers may be flattened to reduce volume. Plastic grocery bags should not be put in the recycling cart but are usually accepted at grocery stores.