The Tree Advisory Board was established on December 30, 1991 and consists of seven (7) members who are appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the City Council. The appointed members must be City residents and serve without pay for a period of 2 years. Their terms are staggered and members serve until their successors are duly seated and qualified. No member of the board shall be an elected official or an employee of the City. In order to serve on the board, a person must be a qualified elector of the City, and have been an actual resident of the City for at least one (1) year immediately preceding appointment.
The Board will designate one of the members to be Chairman and Vice Chairman for a term of one year. The Chairman and Vice Chairman may succeed themselves in office. The City Manager or his designee shall attend all meetings of the Board and shall serve as Secretary thereof. All communication between the Board and the Administration and the Mayor and City Council shall be through the Secretary.
The duties and responsibilities of the Tree Advisory Board are as follows:
- To give guidance and advice to the City in determining the needs of the City’s tree program;
- To make recommendations as to the type and kind of trees to be planted upon the City streets and public areas.
- To assist City Officials and residents in the dissemination of news and information regarding the selection, planting, and maintenance of trees, shrubs, and other plants on private or public property, and to make such recommendations from time to time to the City Council as to the desirable legislation concerning the tree, shrub, and plant programs and activities for the City;
- To provide regular and special meetings at which the subject of trees for the City may be discussed by the members of the board, officers, and personnel of the City, and all other persons interested in the tree program;
- To consider and adopt the Arboricultural Specifications and Standards of Practice of the International Society of Arboriculture and any revision necessary for the City: and
- To recommend an urban forestry plan and a master street tree plan to the City Council for its acceptance, which plans shall specify the species of trees to be planted throughout the City and on streets or other public sites within the City and which plans shall consider all existing and future utility and environmental factors when recommending specific species.
The board shall meet at least quarterly to carry out its duties and responsibilities and to advise and recommend to the Mayor and City Council and the City administration possible areas of concern and interest of the community. Meetings may be called in accordance with applicable law if the Chairman or any two (2) members of the board deem it necessary. A quorum of the board shall be made up of a majority of the members then holding office.
2018 Meeting Dates
Tuesday, February 6th
Tuesday, April 3rd
Tuesday, August 7th
Tuesday, November 13th
Meeting Location: City Hall, 150 W. Jefferson Street
Meeting Time: 3:30 pm.
Agendas & Minutes