No building permits will be issued in an easement.
These examples are meant as general guidelines and are subject to final approval by staff.
What you need:
- Plat of Survey (for new, replacement, and additions)
- Structural Drawings
- Building Permit Application
- Cost Estimate
- HOA approval (see HOA list here)
Cost of Permit: $50.00 (for up to $8,000)
A permit is required prior to construction of any garage. Certain subdivisions have covenants that are more restrictive than the City ordinances. The homeowner is responsible for obtaining HOA approval. For HOAs on this list, bring a copy of the approval when applying for the permit.
Whenever a project requires digging please contact JULIE, in advance, at 800-892-0123 or online at http://illinois1call.com to mark underground utility lines.Important Information
- The garage must be located out of all Public and Utility Easements.
- When there are no easements, the garage can be placed 3 ft. from the rear and side lot lines.
- The garage must be located 60 ft. from the front property line.
- The garage must not be taller than one story, 20 ft. high to top of roof ridge. Wall height must not exceed 10 ft. high.
- The garage must be smaller in footprint than the house (first floor square footage).
- When a garage door faces an alley, the garage must be 10 ft. from the alley and 3 ft. from the side lot line.
- When a garage door does not face an alley, the garage can be located 3 ft. from the alley and the side lot lines.
- If the garage is located less than 6 ft. from the house, the garage must be code compliant (Contact Building Inspector).
- Detached accessory structures larger than 200 sq. ft. in area shall be constructed to complement the principal structure (building material and colors).
- There is to be only one detached garage or carport allowed per residential property (including properties with multiple lots).
- On a corner lot, the garage must be located a minimum of 20 ft. from the side lot line, and must be located at least 3 ft. from the rear lot line.
- All structures (excluding driveways, sidewalks, pools, unroofed decks/patios, & fences) on a lot must cover no more than 30% of the total lot area.
- All garages and carports are required to include and maintain a paved driveway.
- Application For Building [PDF] *Required*
- Residential Accessory Structures Review Form [PDF] *Required*
- Plumbing [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Heating, Cooling, Refrigeration & Ventilation Systems [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Electrical [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Detached Garage Layout [PDF]
- Detached Garage Layout w/ Alley [PDF]
- Detached Garage Layout on Corner Lot [PDF]
Note: At two intersecting streets, alleys, and driveways, there are additional requirements that must be met to protect the visibility of automotive traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians.
Joliet City Hall is located at:
150 W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, Il 60432