These examples below are meant as general guidelines and are subject to final approval by staff.
What you need:
- Plat of Survey (for new, replacement, and additions)
- Cost Estimate
- Height & Type of fence
- HOA approval (see HOA list here)
Cost of Permit: $50.00 (for up to $8,000)
A permit is required prior to construction of any fence. Certain subdivisions have covenants that are more restrictive than the City ordinances. The homeowner is responsible for obtaining HOA approval. For HOAs on this list, bring a copy of the approval when applying for the permit.
Whenever a project requires digging please contact JULIE, in advance, at 800-892-0123 or online at http://illinois1call.com to mark underground utility lines.
- The maximum fence height is 4 ft. in a front yard and 6 ft. in a rear yard.
- Fences cannot extend into a landscape easement.
- Corner Side Yard: Fences higher than 4 ft. in a required front yard (corner side yard) require adjoining neighbor's sign-off.
- Sight Visibility*
- Solid privacy fences and picket fences must be no higher than 2-½ ft. within this area.
- "See through" fences (chain link or wrought iron/aluminum) are allowed up to a maximum height of 6 ft. in the rear yard and 4 ft. in the front yard in visibility areas.
- At no time are fences allowed to be installed in what would be described as a storm water detention/retention pond easement, floodplain easement or areas determined to be floodway.
- Fence Layout without Rear Yard Landscape Easement [PDF]
- Fence Layout on a Lot with Rear Yard Landscape Easement [PDF]
- Corner Lot Fence Layout - 6 Ft. High Fence Installed Within the 20 Ft. Corner Lot Side Yard Setback [PDF]
- Corner Lot Fence Layout – 6 Ft. High Fence Installed Outside of the 20 Ft. Corner Lot Side Yard Setback [PDF]
*Note: At two intersecting streets, alleys, and driveways, there are additional requirements that must be met to protect the visibility of automotive traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians.
Joliet City Hall is located at:
150 W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, Il 60432